By Bernard H. Lavenda (auth.)
Dr. Bernard H. Lavenda has written a brand new point of view on Thermodynamics to mix an previous examine thermodynamics with a brand new origin. The publication provides a ancient viewpoint, which unravels the present presentation of thermodynamics present in normal texts, and which emphasizes the elemental position that Carnot performed within the improvement of thermodynamics.
A New viewpoint on Thermodynamics will:
- Chronologically resolve the advance of the rules of thermodynamics and the way they have been conceived through their discoverers
- Bring the idea of thermodynamics as much as the current time and point out parts of additional improvement with the union of knowledge concept and the speculation of capacity and their inequalities. New components contain nonextensive thermodynamics, the thermodynamics of coding idea, multifractals, and unusual attractors.
- Reintroduce vital, but approximately forgotten, teachings of N.L. Sardi Carnot
- Highlight conceptual flaws in well timed subject matters reminiscent of endoreversible engines, finite-time thermodynamics, geometrization of thermodynamics, and nonequilibrium paintings from equilibrium unfastened power differences.
Dr. Bernard H. Lavenda is Professor of actual Chemistry at Universita degli Studi di Camerino, Italy. he's recipient of the 2009 Telesio-Galeli Prize in Physics for his paintings on irreversible thermodynamics.
Read or Download A New Perspective on Thermodynamics PDF
Similar thermodynamics and statistical mechanics books
This quantity collects jointly the lectures and papers provided on the joint Los Alamos nationwide Laboratory - Commissariat a l'Energie Atomique assembly, held at Cadarache fortress, in Provence (France), April 22-26, 1985. approximately 100 individuals got here from either laboratories and from different linked French businesses.
- The Entropy Crisis
- Exact results
- Thermodynamics of Polymerization - articles by Hideo Sawada in Polymer Reviews
- A History of Thermodynamics
- Field-theoretic approach to phase transitions
Extra resources for A New Perspective on Thermodynamics
We will return to a discussion of power laws in Chap. 6. 5 Carath´eodory’s Attempt at the Second Law We should spend a few words on Carath´eodory’s formulation of the second law. In Carath´eodory’s attempt at formulating the second law, the integrating factor for heat plays a primary role. Carath´eodory couched the existence of the second law in the impossibility of some process taking place. The process considered was an adiabatic one, and the impossibility of such a process taking place meant that the entropy would always increase or always decrease.
39) for an ideal gas. 39). 45) Carnot’s [1824, pp. 76–77] principle is as follows: The motive power of heat is independent of the working substances that are used to develop it. The quantity is determined exclusively by the temperatures of the bodies between which, at the end of the process, the passage of caloric has taken place. 45), a T in the denominator is needed. This would make the work proportional to the difference in temperatures of the furnace and refrigerator. 4 Integrating Factors Galore 39 C must be proportional to the absolute temperature.
Not 2 , and V . Ä=Äi /=@V D 0 for i D 1; 2. V / must be some universal function of the volume of the combined system.
A New Perspective on Thermodynamics by Bernard H. Lavenda (auth.)